SnowIce is miserable. The only good thing is that school got cancelled on Friday and I got to take a quiz at home (which was super necessary considering I bombed all the previous ones).
- Otherwise, I somehow broke the fuse in both my room and my sister’s room while attempting to use 2 space heaters due to being forbidden to use the upstairs heater.
- So, I’ve been hiding out in the guest room that only has a futon mattress. Not a really mattress. No bed frame. Asian style.
- At first the futon mattress was okay, but after a couple of hours, my ass started getting really sore and lying down was not as comfortable anymore. It’s like sitting/lying on a carpet for a long, long time.
- I’M TIRED OF BEING AT HOME. WHY CAN’T THE ICE MELT ALREADY?
- Instead of studying, I have caught up on all my tv shows and watched like 3 movies. Surprisingly, no online shopping for once!
- Operation ‘look hot for LAN’ is super failing. I’ve accepted the fact that I will look tubby and that hopefully, no one will care.
- Why is twerking so hard?
I spent too much on Black Friday.
At least I’m stocked up on sweaters now?
A vegetarian thanksgiving made by yours truly: aligot (mashed potatoes with melted cheese), zucchini “crab” cakes, twice baked sweet potatoes, and apricot baked brie
I went to the Angelika for the first time and watched Nebraska which was a black and white film. It was the classiest afternoon I’ve ever had.
I also gave myself the easiest goal of not buying any designer bags for a month. Fail.
Because I’m the only one who lives upstairs now, I’m not allowed to turn on the heater at all (Asian household rules). I’ve been surviving off of a space heater in my room which works slowly but sufficiently. I checked how cold it was upstairs and the thermometer said 55 degrees. Wtfffff.
7 Things Your Pharmacist Wishes You Knew
Frustrated with the long wait at the pharmacy? Here’s a few things you should know about why it takes so long, as well as some tips to save you and your pharmacist time and frustration.
I left my phone at home. Home is an hour away.
I feel so empty right now. It’s really sad to know how dependent we are on technology nowadays (or at least I am).
I can go home right after rotations, but that adds an extra 30 minutes on the road which after having to pump gas twice a week already, I shouldn’t even think twice about. But, because I seriously feel like I can’t function with my phone, I’m going to go out of my way and take that extra 30 minutes to go home, pick up my phone, and be late for school.
- When you go from pumping your gas twice a semester to twice a week. Sigh.
- The good: The hospital is new so it’s super nice. Like “damn is this a hotel or a hospital” nice. On the way there, there’s no traffic so I can get there (Fort Worth or more specifically, Keller) in about 50 minutes.
- The bad: The commute is 50 minutes, and it’s worse when I actually have to go to class. On those days, I’m essentially traveling all across DFW, from North Dallas to Fort Worth to Dallas downtown back to North Dallas. There’s traffic between Fort Worth and Dallas downtown at noon, so it takes me an hour to get to school. So basically, I spend the equivalent amount of time of a one-way trip to Austin every day (that I have to go to class). I have a P4 with me which usually is extremely helpful and relieving but this P4 is not only socially awkward and slightly unhygienic but also comes to rotations late EVERY time. Today, he was like 20 or so minutes late. The hell? You live closer to here than I do AND you’re a 4th year. Smh forreals. The pharmacy is always freezing even though it’s freezing outside so I’m basically freezing my ass off for like 6 hours straight.
- Today, I spent 3.5 hours reading 4 journal articles on the economic effects of clinical pharmacy interventions. Yes, because I totally understand economics and knowing actual clinical pharmacy isn’t as important as knowing the economics of it.
- Teaching sucks. Every Sunday, things just get worse and worse. They would not shut the hell up this week even though I told them to be quiet probably over 20 times and I fucking bribed them by letting them leave 20 minutes early if they were quiet for 5 minutes. 5. Minutes. And quiet didn’t even mean silent. All they had to do was whisper/use indoor voices and stop fucking falling out of their chair, but they couldn’t even do that for more than 30 seconds if less even. I even gave them 3 chances to be quiet so they can leave early. So I basically yelled at them at the end of class to the point where my face turned tomato red and threatened to do assigned seating next week. Yup, I’m going to do it and become bitch teacher.
- On the brightside, FINALLY bought my LAN ticket! So excited! I’m only going 1 day though, but I don’t think my grandma body can handle 2 days anyways.
- Seeing Emily and Lysa again (even though I saw Lysa like 2 weeks ago haha) really made me miss girl time. Pharmacy friends are cool and all, but they’re nothing like my girlfriends. I can’t wait until we’re all together again.
I wanted to dress like a pumpkin to school today, but my professor told me it would be unprofessional. #pharmacyschoolproblems
Spending my Halloween pulling an all nighter. I ate half a McRib and like 10 McNuggets and I’m not full…so I’m gonna eat a cheeseburger and some animal style fries from In-n-Out. Oh stress eating.
Thank you Lambdas for teaching me about drugs. That should cover 1/3 of my test tomorrow. Interesting fact: marijuana causes a decrease in testosterone and sperm and also suppresses your immune system. It is also not addictive surprisingly.
November is supposedly No Makeup November for girls? Never heard of that, but hey, if it is, luckily for me, I’ve been doing a no makeup semester.
Skipped class with the intention of napping since I only got 2 hours of sleep last night. Instead, I watched 2 episodes of Masterchef Junior and like 2 episodes of Big Bang Theory. Then I proceeded to take a 4 hour nap which will hopefully sustain me for a couple of hours tonight since I have a lot of work to do.
Doing a mini research paper on e-cigs. Pretty interesting shit. Primary literature coming your way!
I think I got a ticket from one of those red light cameras last night. I’m pretty sure I crossed the line before the light turned red but the light flashed so I’m like praying to the traffic gods to spare me from my alleged 7th traffic violation. Yes, I have gotten 3 tickets and been pulled over a total of 6 times. Popo no like me :(
Last week of my in-patient rotations. Thank god. Starting my hospital rotation next week though in Fort Worth. Not looking forward to driving more than an hour to rotations every morning.
Pinata and its candy. #halloween #costume #pinata #couplecostume
So I have a million things due tomorrow at 7 in the morning, and instead, I decided to take a long break by stalking random people on Instagram.
Somehow, by randomly clicking on people’s Instagram, I ended up on this one guy whose mother just passed away. I see a picture of his family in the hospital, then a hashtag stating her age, and the biggest click goes off in my head. I look at the guy’s last name. Same last name. Maybe it’s just a coincidence. So I look at his other pictures. I see her full name. I look at my patient work ups.
No fucking way.
Per my previous post, I talked about how I had a patient pass away and how it really upset me and honestly still upsets me to this day (which I also happened to talk about her today with my classmates who round with me).
Yeah, out of all the people with Instagrams, I happened to stumble upon that patient’s son. This is probably the biggest coincidence I have ever faced, and it’s actually very eerie. What are the odds?
It’s probably a sign that I should stop wasting time and get back to work except after looking at all of the pictures on his Instagram, I just want to not do anything for the rest of the night.
Been gradually weening off my diet and it’s quickly showing. Why can’t I have fast metabolism like everyone else?
Last night, I was working up a patient I have been following for a week. She came in with shortness of breath, and the past 2 or 3 times I saw her, she was fine to me. We treated her for suspected pneumonia, but nothing was working. I only round on Mondays and Wednesdays, so I had to read all the doctor and nurse notes to catch up on her over the weekend. In the notes, they suggested her to go to hospice since her symptoms were worsening, but she was insistent on not going and trying every possible therapy in the hospital so that she could try to sustain her life as long as possible. Reading this just broke my heart because she was willing to do anything in her power to stay alive.
Overnight, I had a nightmare that she was dying right before my eyes. I woke up and was faded at how real it seemed and how it could actually happen. I checked see if any events happened overnight with her and saw that she was no longer in the active patient list. When that occurs, it usually means the patient got discharged so I was relieved to see that she went home.
When I got to school, I told my preceptor that she got discharged.
"No, she didn’t get discharged. She died overnight."
My mind went blank. After working up so many patients these past 3 weeks, all of them being cancer patients and most of them having to leave to hospice, I have almost become faded to the fact that these patients are about to die. There have been moments when I would be sad for a bit but get over it quickly because I’m so used to it. However, I never had a patient die in the hospital so unexpectedly.
Today was an especially hard day. It makes you think how life can change so quickly with a blink of an eye.
Vampire Weekend!! It’s unbelievable how good they are live. First concert with the boyfriend with music we BOTH love. #vampireweekend #indie #music
This morning, my preceptor told us students that we basically suck and that we need to improve or quote, we are “no where close to where we are supposed to be”.
Proof that I’m going to be a shitty pharmacist. I would say I wish I can just be an elementary school teacher like I wanted to when I was a kid, but apparently I can’t even do 5th grade math.
Currently feeling like a failure and extremely sleep deprived. Got less than 3 hours of sleep last night and am planning on pulling an all nighter tonight.